Welcome

So I have jumped on board with this blogging trend, and am excited to see where it takes me

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Antiparos (island or archnemesis of Paros?)

On Monday (the 7th) we took a little trip to the sleepy neighboring island of Antiparos (since we went on a Monday, we had the classes that we would have had then, on Saturday. Luckily for me that's only film at 4:30pm).
The original plans of going to the famous cave there fell through (it doesn't open until next month?) and we were apparently too under dressed to go to a festival that was happening on the island that evening. So naturally, we went swimming.

Following our teacher Cameron's van, Aaron (Carleigh's boyfriend who was visiting) navigated along some pretty rocky terrain. Off roading definitely wasn't planned, especially in a rental car with minimal clearance..but somehow we made it through despite the gas tank being on empty (sounds like my car at home right?) I took a pretty funny video of our drive, I'll try and upload it soon.

After an equally difficult climb down a slippery rocky slope covered with some prickley brush, we made it to the beautiful water. Some people chose to jump off a pretty high rock, but at the time I wasn't feeling it (I felt pretty accomplished jumping off that 15 foot platform like a week or so ago) plus there was a little entryway under some rocks that led to a little cave and mini pool of water that looked worth exploring. As I was half swimming half stepping on rocks below me in the cave I realized that determining depth perception in the water below you is pretty difficult. But thankfully I managed alright, no sea urchins this time, and I loved watching the light from the water dance along the walls. I wish I had been able to take my camera through, but unfortunately it's not waterproof. Coral however did get some good shots of us once we made it through to the little pool on the other side.
We finished off the afternoon at a local cafe after an equally nerve wrecking drive back (we made it though!) and got back on the ferry with our little trooper of a rental car. 

Our car on the ferry, watching as a cement truck backs in and slides in it's place  literally right next our little car. 
Two wrong things with this picture: the name and the fact it was closed
 
The shot I got of Carleigh's camera dropping (it's at the bottom). 
The camera is okay, and Aaron's face is priceless!

   
   
 
                             

    
Would you like some chicken salad with your mayonnaise?

Mike and Shayla taking the last opportunity to have their feet naturally exfoliated by the sand.

Our driving adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment